POLICY & WEEKEND CANCELLATIONS
Home > Weather Policy
School Day Cancellations:
A. When MPS schools are closed prior to the start of the school day, all afternoon and evening recreation and interscholastic athletics / academics are canceled.
B. If the District issues a winter alert, which means bus drivers report to their first tier schools by 1:55 p.m. and schools begin to dismiss students at 1:55 p.m., the following recreation and interscholastic athletic office activities will continue to operate:
1. Child care, day care, camp programs, safe places, and community learning center activities at elementary schools.
2. Safe places and community learning centers in middle and high schools.
3. After school recreation programs/activity buses in elementary schools.
4. After school sports programs/activity buses in middle schools.
5. After school and evening interscholastic athletic / academic practices and games / activity buses in high school.
6. After school and evening community recreation classes.
7. Evening adult muni-recreation sports leagues.
C. If the District issues a weather emergency, which means schools may dismiss students (who walk to school) at noon, all afternoon and evening recreation division / interscholastic activities will automatically be cancelled, with the exception of:
1. After-school child care / camp programs, safe places, and community learning center activities at elementary schools. These programs will remain open until parents / guardians have picked up their children.
If the weekend weather is questionable:
A) Weekend weather cancellations for MPS recreation activities, interscholastic athletics/academics, and MPS music lessons will be announced on Channel 6 (TV), WTMJ-620 AM (radio) and WMCS-1290 AM (radio). One of the following messages will be relayed:
Message # 1: Closing for COLD weather
Only MPS children’s recreation activities and music lessons are cancelled.
All other activities are on as scheduled.
Message # 2: Closing for SNOW
All MPS recreation activities, music lessons, leagues, and interscholastic events at MPS sites are cancelled.
B) If programs have started and weather conditions system-wide require closing during the day, the same procedures listed in A. above will be utilized.
Special Note: Adult Sports
In the event of severe weather conditions, officials and team
managers are urged to listen closely to the radio/TV stations
listed above. Announcements may not specifically mention the
Adult Sports Program, but may state Activities of the
Milwaukee Recreation Department have been cancelled
or something to that effect.
In the event of inclement weather, call the Weather Hotline
at 414-475-8192 after 4:00 p.m. or fieldhouse
phone numbers ( PDF) after 5:00 p.m. for field conditions.
If in doubt, officials should report and managers are urged
to have at least the minimum number of players appear to avoid
the possibility of a forfeit. Managers should pass this information
on to their players.
(Other search terms used to navigate to this page: cancellation of softball, softball rain out, rainout, rainouts, field conditions, rain postponement, postponements, game cancellation, weather hot line, hotline.)